Tips and Tricks for Making Your Kids Laugh During Your Photo Session
Updated: Jun 25
When it comes to family photoshoots, the most important thing is to capture the fun and joy that comes with having a family. And what better way to capture that joyful energy than by making your kids laugh? Laughter is contagious, and it can make any family photoshoot a memorable one and result in phenomenal photos that you’ll love.
Here are some tips on how to make your kids laugh during your family photo session. You may not need them, but it’s great to have some ideas in your back pocket in case your little one gets a case of the grumpies and you need to help them cheer up. Your photographer may use some of these tricks or come up with others on the spot as they get to know your kids. A good photographer is very skilled at connecting with kids of all ages!
1. Play Peekaboo: Peekaboo is an age-old game that never fails to make little kids laugh. It’s simple enough for even the youngest of kids to understand and enjoy. Babies as young as 9 months may love this game and even use their tiny hands to try to join in. This will surely make your young kids giggle, and it’s a great way to get them to relax and have fun during the photoshoot.
2. Dance Together: Dancing is always fun, and it’s a great way to make your kids laugh. Let your kids pick a song they like, turn it up, and then get your family to dance together. You can even make it a competition to see who can do the silliest dance moves. This is a great way to get your kids to loosen up and engage with you, which in turn makes for great photographs
3. Tell Funny Jokes: Some kids love to hear funny jokes, and it’s a great way to make them laugh. You can even get your kids to tell jokes to each other. This can be a fun way to get your kids to interact with each other and usually results in some authentic smiles, especially if the jokes are of the cheesy, silly variety. Don’t forget to ask if dad has any “dad jokes” up his sleeve!
4. Get Creative: Get creative with your poses, and let the kids help come up with posing ideas. You can have your kids pretend to fly, play pretend games, or even make funny faces. Get your kids involved in the process and let them come up with their own ideas. This will make the photo shoot fun for everyone, and it will help your kids stay engaged and laugh as well.
5. Sing Together. Nothing can make a child laugh quite like a silly song. Whether it’s a classic nursery rhyme or something more contemporary, singing together as a family is a great way to lighten the mood and get your kids in the right frame of mind for the photoshoot. You don’t even need to be a good singer - the sillier the better! One classic joke is to start a well-known song and then mess up a lyric, such as “Twinkle, twinkle, little banana…” This can often make little ones crack up.
6. Play Pranks. Kids love a good prank, so why not incorporate one into your photoshoot? Have one family member, such as a grandparent, hide behind the camera and then pop out when your kids least expect it. You can also pull out a prank prop like a fake bug and surprise your kids mid-shoot. Remember that pranks should be harmless fun and not cause any discomfort to the children
7. Run Races. Races are a great way to get your kids laughing and having fun. Have your kids line up and then race each other to a designated finish line. Or, if you have a large family, you can have them race in teams. This will help break the ice and get your kids in a good mood before the photoshoot.
8. Make Animal Noises. Having everyone make animal noises is always a surefire way to get your kids laughing. Have each family member (and the photographer) take turns mimicking the sounds of various animals, or turn it into a guessing game!
9. Play a game of charades or freeze frame and take a picture of the kids in their poses. You can play music and have everyone freeze when you press pause. This game is sure to get lots of giggles out of your kids!
These are just a few ideas for making your kids laugh during your family photoshoot. With a little creativity and some silly antics, you can easily get your kids in a good mood and capture some great, natural moments. So, next time you’re planning a family photoshoot, keep a few of these ideas in your back pocket to help your kids relax and have some fun. Your photographer will also have great ideas and will guide you throughout the session!
As a family photographer in the Ellensburg, Washington area, I would be delighted to chat with you about your vision for a family portrait session! I'm here and ready to help, so don't hesitate to reach out.
Here’s what one of my clients had to say about their session:
What made the 90 minutes so fun and special was Meaghan. She keeps the good vibes going - she is funny, upbeat, tells you what to do, makes you relax, and is shooting constantly. The results are truly amazing... Meaghan's way with people is uplifting and effective, her studio is spot on, and the result is a collection of photos that customers like me will treasure."
I can't wait to hear from you so we can start planning YOUR family session!